Friday 23 September 2011

Opposites Attract...


                                Butterfly Wallpaper, Damien Hirst, 1994


                                          Colin Self, Nude, 1971




I took a trip to The Whitworth Art Gallery for some much needed inspiration, although I'm looking at fashion prints I was rather intrigued by some of the old floral wallpaper patterns on display. I really liked the elegance and minute detailing which I thought could just as easily work on fabric for a couture dress or repeated several times on a silk scarf.
There was an exhibition on called, Dark Matters. A collection of artist's works including Paula Rego and Colin Self (top) using tones and textures to reveal darkness and light. This I thought was relevant to my research into my glamour theme. Using black and white photographs and mediums for light and dark effects. It was interesting to look at a different perspective of art and design to gather ideas for a fashion print. The two images are of postcards I picked up in the shop, which I liked and felt fitted in with each of my themes. I have a penchant for colourful, pretty things (!) which is why I choose Damien Hirst’s Butterfly Wallpaper. The symmetrical and kaleidoscopic pattern looks so precise, perfect and immaculate and the various butterfly colours are beautiful. I’ve currently been experimenting with symmetry and colours for my colour theme of my brief. Painting one side of the paper and folding it over (much like the painting activities you would do at Primary School) to create a mirror image effect which is very fun too! From this I have developed a fair few patterns and sometimes I have shuffled the paper around to make the paint drip and create its own travels and tones. Though now, I want to apply this in my heat press printing as it could have a striking effect on sheer , translucent fabrics.

1 comment:

  1. this http://nicolasteel20-surfacedesign.blogspot.com site is so beautiful.this site depend on surface design.different design of surface are added on this site.i like this site.

    ReplyDelete