Thursday 10 November 2011

Liberty silk scarves


I took a break from printing and had a look at some silk scarves by Liberty, to see how they are designed and the colours which are used to help me with deciding on my own silk scarf designs and come up with a colour palette.  
I choose to look at Liberty because they have some timeless and classic designs and are well known for luxury and high quality fabrics, also a very big fan of their prints!
Of the collection I looked at they carried a floral and botanical theme (similar to the themes in my work) and with this created a flowing and lucid feel.  They seemed quite traditional and twee in their design however there was a different take on some of the designs where the florals were replaced with exotic and bright colours. Almost a bit psychedelic and acidic in colour. I liked this contemporary and updated version of florals. I especially liked the scarves with a Leopard print design and instead of using the colours associated with a Leopards fur they used shocking bright shades of reds and blues and yellows.
I think my print experiments are a little simple at the moment with the limited selection of colours I’ve used. To possibly push the designs forward I think I will take note from Liberty’s scarves where there are much stronger and brighter colours, it also might be worth dying the fabric and choosing a fabric with colour so the background is not completely white and giving off a very blank and plain feel.

I need to take more risks with designing and fill the whole piece of fabric! Some of my designs look a little weak as they are just one image standing alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment