Tuesday 13 December 2011

Final Scarf Design



Finally completed final scarf design! After many decisions on what colours, print technique, type of fabric and dimensions to consider! My final design measures a square metre, (which I decided on from measuring some of my own scarves) is a discharge print, using dark pink and warm red and brown colours. I decided on creating a scarf which would also be warm and durable enough to wear in cold weather as well as just for aesthetic purposes, this is why in the end I decided not to continue to design a silk scarf as the fabric is quite delicate and fine. However I think it loses its exclusivity from using discharge print as opposed to silk screen printing.
I decided on a trailing and overlapping layout, as I like the way the roses appear to move and cross over creating more interlocking lines and shapes; this I feel works very well and is a good feature of the design.  When the scarf is worn and drapes around the neck, it also has a positive and trailing effect too.
Unfortunately when I was printing I used a bit too much paste which has left lines, although I like to think it could work as it is repeated throughout the design so could be part of the design?  Another problem with the print is the colours. Though I selected pink, red and brown they were a little too muddy and darker than I would have liked. When I was researching Liberty and Echo Designs they used sharp and bright colours which had a contemporary style, though I don’t think I mixed the dyes very well to create these bright, pop colours! 

Though after all of the testing and trialling of printing and designing patterns I’m pleased with the outcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment