Wednesday 7 December 2011

Trip to Hoopers...


I took a trip to Hoopers in Wilmslow, a lovely department store which sell luxury designer clothing/interiors and also some of the things from the High street. I felt I needed to have another look for myself at some scarves from the high end of the market and high street, to look at the types of fabrics used and pattern designs. Also I wanted to look at costs and how this might affect the type of fabrics I use for my final design and printing method, which would indicate whether it is a one off high end piece, or mass produced for a high street shop.
A brand of scarf I came across Echo, had some wonderful colourful, floral designs which I found really pretty. Their scarves ranged from rich silks to satins and cottons and were priced at about twenty pounds to fifty pounds. There was also a collection called Vintage which involved a range of patterns in repeat, ranging from a Herringbone design to a simple stripe design.
Me and Kashmiere, were a more expensive and luxurious brand of scarves; ranging from about ninety to one hundred and twenty pounds. Their designs really reflected the richness and high quality of the scarf, very subtle patterns and deep, rich colours.  I liked the deep and warm colours reds, browns,  oranges which I felt reflected the winter season.
After having a look at these two new designers I felt I had a clearer understanding of the type of scarf I might design, the colour palette and layout of the pattern.  Also how the selection of fabrics and design affect which market the scarf is designed for, i.e. high end market use high quality silks which are more pricey, high street  designers might choose more affordable synthetic fabrics.
                                                                       Echo Designs
   
                                                              Me and Kashmiere

No comments:

Post a Comment